Wednesday, March 11, 2009

superwoman's daughter to give birth tomorrow

She was able to carry twins until 5 days before her due date. Give birth NATURALLY -- that's right folks, not a drug in her -- to a 7 pounder and a 6 pound, 9 ouncer. And bounce right back like it was nothing. She then raised three holy terrors (well, the third one was an angel, of course!). Went back and continued her career. Finished her doctorate of her life's work. Taught her children how to take care of themselves. Put up with a smartass, but all-loving husband. Had amazing, close friends who would do anything for her. And fought up until the last day when cancer, her only Kryptonite, took her from this world.

I'm convinced that if she had kicked cancer's ass, she would have done even more heroic actions, like becoming the first female President of the United States. You know, something easy for us to live up to.

I promised my mother that I would live my life as she taught me -- without fear, with intellligence, love and compassion, and I would live it to the fullest.

I have, however, accepted the fact that I am NOT Superwoman as she was.

I will not be carrying Baby Girl until her due date. I will not be giving birth without a single drug. Somehow I do believe she will be a holy terror, though. Let's hope she doesn't roll over at 30 minutes in the hospital and scream so loud that she had to be separated from the rest of the nursery. Yeah, that was me! :-)

Baby Girl has an appointment to enter this world at 9 a.m. tomorrow morning. She does, however, have Engelman and Vener blood in her, so it would not shock me if she showed up before that JUST to make an entrance.

It sounds strange to say, but I am going to miss being pregnant. Well, SOME things. Like the limited wardrobe options that made getting ready in the morning a lot easier. Bumping bellies with Bob. Eating chocolate and saying "Hey, Baby Girl likes chocolate, what can I say?" Fingernails that never broke. Baby hiccups. Feeling her move around in my belly, especially before Bob or anyone else could feel it. It was like our little secret.

What I won't miss? This numb, painful feeling in my hands that I've had now for the last 2-3 weeks contantly, and swollen feet -- just appeared in the last few days. Not being able to join my work friends after work for Happy Hour because it was at the world's smokiest bar. Not being able to exercise. Having to stop taking my roseacea medicine and having my face break out.

I'm sure there's more for my pro/con list, but now I must try to get the house ready for our impending guest. OK, so I'm actually going to go snuggle with Orbit, my first child. I hope he still likes me after this and that Baby Girl isn't his Kryptonite.

No comments: