Monday, March 16, 2009

girl power and drunken baby syndrome

The nurse called it Drunken Baby Syndrome. Any mom that breastfed knows what we're talking about. It's the immediate effect breastmilk has on a baby -- especially the first few times. Eyes roll back, body freezes into a relaxed state, and she basically looks, well, drunk. Or stoned, but we'll go with drunk. Well, Mary really likes breastmilk, much to our delight, since it's then followed with up to 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep. This morning that meant that Bob left me to sleep for another 2 1/2 hours. I slept through breakfast. It was WONDERFUL.

Girl Power showed up when we were in the hospital. Kim is a genius at this double blanket wrap (aka a tight "baby burrito") that would put her to sleep in an instant. She LOVES it. Trouble is, when Bob would fold up the blanket (I was still getting land legs back), Mary would immediately shoot her left arm out of the blanket and into the air. Almost like a Black Panther salute. But since she's as white as white could be, I declared it to be the new Girl Power salute. Somehow I know that Mary's namesake would be proud.

For those of you who may not know, Mary Elizabeth's name has quite a history. There are a LOT of Mary Engelman's, Mary Vener's, and Mary Francisco's, along with the middle name Elizabeth throughout Bob's and my families. And then there's my mom, Mary Elizabeth, who passed away when I was 17. I've talked about her before, and don't think my hormones will allow me to do it again right now. :-) Bob's mom's name is even Mary Lillian, though she goes by Lillian. Rest assured that all the personality, knowledge, strength and attitude from all of these women have shaped a hell of a Girl Power for our little Mary. Watch out world!

Below are some pics... the first two are from the hospital, with Aunt Kim and Proud Papa Bob. Then Horsey, our favorite little stuffed animal that was given to us at our RSSC shower, the onesie that says "I love Mommy, and Mommy loves me." :-) And Mary's Little Lamb. It's the gift from Sonia, Lisette and Oscar. It's Mary's new home away from my chest...







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I renamed it "drunken mamma syndrome". The first few weeks breastfeeding made me SO TIRED! What's that hormone called that is released? I forget. Brian found us both knocked out several times after a feeding. You are doing awesome already and that baby couldn't be happier with her new home.---Kristen