Thursday, June 18, 2009

in honor of mary beth's grandpa phil

me, Dad and Kim on first day of preschool

So, this weekend will be quite bittersweet. It will be Bob's first Father's Day, but it will also be the first Father's Day without Dad. So, I decided that tonight I will dedicate this entry to Dad. Sunday will be all about Bob.

What, praytell, would be a good way to honor Dad? Of course by saying everything he probably would say to Mary Beth if he were here:

  • You know, you're pretty cute even if you're a redhead. (He'd say that NUMEROUS times!)
  • Don't worry, we'll get you that hair dye soon.
  • No matter what your mother tells you, she was NOT a quiet baby. Go ahead and scream. Scream at the top of your lungs.
  • Go play in the street.
  • I always had to trick your mother into doing new things. And she always liked them. Just remember that I was always right.
  • Your grandmother Mary and I had the perfect strategy to stay married all our lives. Whoever filed for divorce got the kids. The other one got the cats.
  • Your mother was so loud when she was born that they put her in her own room away from the rest of the babies. Seriously.
  • You can do whatever you want in life. Don't ever let anyone tell your differently, especially a guy.
  • We tried to drown her at birth, but it didn't work. Then your Uncle Rob tried it 8 years later, but I saved her. Stupidly. Your grandmother made me.
  • Grades aren't important. But knowledge is.
  • Where you finish in a class isn't important. I worked really hard to finish last in my class, but I was second to last. Your great uncle beat me.
  • If you're going to do horribly in a college class, drop it and take it again later. (Yeah, he didn't tell me this until AFTER my experience in micro-economics...)
  • No, I wasn't a troublemaker. I was the perfect child. The troublemakers were always the girls. Like those redhead great aunts of yours.
  • No, no, I'm not old enough to be a grandpa. You must be mistaken...
  • You can get through anything you try.
  • Always try your hardest.
  • If you ever need anything, you call me. We won't tell our folks.
  • And if you ever need anything and I'm not around, you call ANY of the Engelmans. They'll move heaven and earth for family.
  • If anyone picks on you, beat them up. Picking on you is our job.

You know, this was kinda fun. I'll think of some more later... Happy Father's Day, Dad! I'll have a drink in your honor. But I draw the line at the cigar...

1 comment:

deana anderson said...

Kristi, this was so sweet and a wonderful way to honor your dad.

Tell Bob Happy Fathers day.

Deanna and Bill