Monday, June 4, 2012

Dear Only Child,

Dear Mary Beth, aka Only Child,

My darling, sweet "Baby Love" Mary Beth... Your days of being the only child in our family of three are becoming incredibly numbered. Although it was more than three years ago, I remember riding in the back of the car with you as your Daddy brought us home for the first time. We were worried about how Orbit the Wondercat would respond to this new, loud redhead.

Now we wonder how you will respond to us not just bringing ONE baby home, but TWO. On a good note, you have no idea that having twin siblings is actually a rarity. You think it's a normal occurence -- kind of like how you think it's weird when people DON'T have red hair.  :-) 

I'm thinking that your response to the two kiddos will be a little different than Orbit's...

I'm sorry that it's going to be loud.
I'm sorry that I simply won't have all the time in the world for ONLY you anymore.
And I'm sorry that things are really, REALLY going to change.

But I promise that there is no way we will love you any less. Heck, I have no idea how it will be possible to love anyone half as much as we love you, but I know it will happen.

And I promise that we will take a page from your grandparents' "bringing home twins playbook" and make sure that we go out of our way to spend time alone with you. From weekend breakfasts to trips to the park to swim lessons... we will try our hardest to still have Mary Beth time without those screaming babies.

Wow. I wish there really was a "bringing home twins playbook" available from my folks. Or that I could just call them and ask how this whole thing works. But I'll just have to rely on stories from them. And funny messages from your Uncle Rob who says he remembers your Auntie Kim and I being brought home as well. We all made it out alive, so I think we'll be good.

So please keep being your sunshiney self. I love how inquisitive and creative you're becoming right in front of our eyes. How you can entertain yourself with stories and made-up songs, balloons and crayons for hours. And how excited you are to welcome your brother and sister. You're going to be a FABULOUS big sister!!

We love you, and you'll always be our Baby Girl, Baby Love, Sparky Asparagus and Goober.

Love Mommy and Daddy

No comments: