Thursday, August 14, 2008

Week 7, and nobody knows!

So, this is probably the hardest thing we've ever kept from friends and family. Especially when we get caught in lies! But it's a necessity, as I'm just superstituous enough to NOT tell anyone until the first trimester is done. Or at least close to being done. Or until we can't handle it anymore...

So yes, I'M PREGNANT. Our quest to perpetuate the redhead race now begins. Now for those of you who believe we can have something other than a redhead, I'm just not buying it. Two redheads equals four recessive genes. I paid attention in middle school biology with that box with four little r's. But hey, just in case something freaky happens, I'll give you all a .0001 percent that we won't have a fellow red. But it's not gonna happen.

It's slightly strange to be writing to, well, nobody. But I know that we'll share this with everyone and you'll get to catch up on what these first days have been like for us. But for now, some apologies...

1. Sorry to Bob's mom -- we know you're going to be upset that we didn't tell you immediately, but I'm a firm believe in Murphy's Law. And we just couldn't tell you and have something bad happen.

2. Sorry to Bob's mom for laughing hysterically the other night when you actually said "You two better get me a baby before you get a dog!" on the phone to Bob. You didn't hear it, but it gave us laughter for a long time after that. Don't worry -- definitely getting you a grandbaby before a dog!

3. Sorry to KK and work for not sharing this, but hey, like we need more drama right now. But then again, SERIOUSLY, how could you all not have figured this out yet? "Cutting back on diet coke"? Like I'd actually do that voluntarily...

4. Sorry to God for saying "OH THANK GOD!" when I saw only ONE sac and itty-bitty-rice-size-bambino at the ultrasound this week. I realize that it's going to come back to nail me later in life and I'll have an "Oh shit" statement just like mom and dad. Don't worry, I'm sure I'll explain that one later in here...

5. And most importantly, sorry to bambino (or "interloper" as Amy calls him/her) for the amounts of alcohol you endured within 2-3 weeks of your spontaneous appearance in my body. Not sure about the exact moment you appeared, but we know it is probably right around our trip to Minnesota for the Engelman family reunion/camping trip. Campfire drinks were imbibed. I blame my cousin's husband, Brent. Don't worry, it won't affect you. And he'll probably give you alcohol later in your life anyway...

That should do it for our inaugural post. This weekend I'll try to update you on finding my sucking-the-life-out-of-me tiredness, and how I hopefully can still go to Happy Hour tomorrow after work without explaining my lack of green apple martinis.

No comments: